Monday, February 4, 2013

Young Women's object lesson

An hilarious, and also very disturbing, account of an object lesson from a Young Women's activity. Is this something you would be comfortable exposing your children to?

- I borrowed this because I like it -

When I was in Young Women's, I went to a stake activity with my sister and my mom. They had set up the primary room with tables lining the perimeter. At each table, there were examples of choices a person could make during their lifetime.

For example, one could get married in the temple, get a tattoo, obey or disobey the WOW, or go on a mission (to name a few). Each girl was supposed to mark off on a paper which decisions she wanted to make in life. It was pretty obvious from the beginning where this activity was headed.

So, just to be smart-asses, my sister and I rebelled. So did my mom, lol. We all got temporary tattoos and none of us went on imaginary missions. I wouldn't say we did anything too horrible, but we definately weren't making all the obvious decisions for brownie-points, either.

At the end of the "game", our points were tallied up and we were sent to one of three different rooms, depending on our scores. Now, this was a pretty large activity, keep in mind. Most of the young women went to the Relief Society room, where they seemed to be throwing a party. They had cake, music, and punch. This was supposed to represent the celestial kingdom. I don't remember much about what the second room looked like, but I wanna say it was a small room with a few chairs and some bread and water. A couple girls went to that room. It was, of course, supposed to represent the Terrestrial kingdom.

And which room do you suppose me, my mom and sister ended up in? The Telestial Kingdom room. This was a small, empty room with no chairs and nothing but a sleeve of saltine crackers to eat. We stood there, waiting for someone to come and tell us the game was over and we could go join the rest of the group.

Finally, people started showing up. But it was only to visit and gloat about the wonderful cake they were eating. We were never allowed to enter the Celestial or Terrestrial room, and we were told so, outright. We really did assume there would be some sort of message at the end and we'd all be included to eat cake. But, if there was a message, we didn't hear it. All of the other YW's leaders were in the Celestial room (except for my mom). My mom, on the other hand, was pissed. She thought they'd made their point. After waiting a substantial amoint of time, we left without saying goodbye to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment