Saturday, March 16, 2013

I believe families can be together forever

I don't believe God will damn me for not believing in a book that has been proven to be a fraud, time and time again.

I don't believe I will be denied an eternal life with my family for not accepting an adulterer, liar, pedophile, and fraud to be a prophet of God.

God gave me 5 senses along with a brain capable of reason and logic. Why would God give me all this and expect me to ignore everything I am able to learn about Mormonism by using them? My 5 senses and my skills for reason and logic all emphatically and irrefutably indicate Mormonism is not what it claims to be. Why would God punish me for drawing conclusions that are consistent with the evidence I have before me?

The church teaches we should ignore all the evidence against the church and just listen to our hearts. Our hearts will feel warm and we are to interpret that to mean the church is true. This method is fraught with problems and is not in any way a reliable method for determining truth. If it were reliable, then there would not be millions of people arriving at contradicting conclusions based on the exact same feeling.

In short, I believe I will face God and he will say something like this.

"I'm proud of you, my son. You were born into a family that told you to believe in a lot of false things. You were told Joseph Smith spoke for me. You were conditioned to believe the Book of Mormon was a literal historical record, etc.

It's very difficult for the human brain to let go of beliefs that are developed from a young age and repeated over many decades. Even when presented with facts and evidence, the human brain clings to the beliefs that got there first. And with family pressure to conform being added to the mix, it makes it even more difficult to admit your beliefs just may be wrong.

But in the face of family and societal pressure, and a lifetime of constant teachings, you were able to find the truth. You explored the facts surrounding your cherished beliefs and you were able to recognize truth and set aside the beliefs that did not line up with reality.

You used my gifts to you, 5 senses and reason and logic, to overcome a lifetime of false teachings. It was not easy to overcome your brain's tendency to retain your false beliefs. And you certainly paid a high relational cost with respect to your family and friends. But you were willing to pay the highest price for the truth. You valued truth above all else and made any and all sacrifices necessary to seek it.

Well done, my good and faithful servant. Well done"

I look forward to meeting God and having that conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment